This is a great recipe if you are thinking about making food for your family or friends for the evening. You can leave it on throughout the day in the slow cooker and BAM! Hearty pot roast for dinner. For me, I love to make extra food on the weekends and save it for the week, also known as meal prep. This saves you time from having to make food every meal. The downside is that you don’t get a lot of choices.
Pot roast is one of my favorite recipes, it’s easy to make, has all the greens that you really need, and serves many people. In addition, the ingredients are cheap. You can usually get chuck roast for under $4/lb on nearby grocery deals. My favorite vegetables include carrots and celery, but you can add others like potatoes, sweet potatoes and cabbage. This is such a versatile dish you have to try it out!
- Salt and pepper the chuck roast and let it rest for 15 minutes. This allows all the juices to get to the surface and also for the
seasoning to penetrate the surface.
- In a skillet, pour in some oil and heat it until it starts to smoke. Sear the chuck roast on all sides until you get a good crust on the roast. This takes about 5 – 7 minutes on each side.
- Start preparing the slow cooker by cutting the carrots and celery into chunks. Lay this at the bottom of the slow cooker, this will be the bedding to our roast.
- Add the sauce mix and a cup of broth together and pour this over the vegetable bedding
- Lay the seared pot roast on top of this
- Top this off with the rest of the broth, we want to slightly cover the chuck roast laying on top of the carrot and celery bedding.
Easy Pot Roast Ingredients
3 lbs of Chuck Roast
3 Medium Carrots
4 Stalks of Celery
2 Medium Potatoes (Optional)
2.5 cups of Chicken or Beef broth
1 Beef Gravy Mix
1 Dry Italian Dressing Mix